Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Just 3 days ago, all my fishes fell sick. Even those carrying fries which is in the breeding tank were also sick and all the fries drop dead like ants.

Its the time of the year again. Everytime between the start of August till around December the weird thing happens. All the fishes WILL be sick. I do not know if it is due to the water. I hope not. But it's also the same time last year that all my fishes died. Literally ALL of them. Fingers cross, I hope I will be able to save this breeding squad.

I had just introduce 3 adult fishes into the community tank (which all seems healthy to me) and right after that, all fell sick. Yes I know that I need to quarantine new fishes in a seperate tank but I haven't had any spare tank~! Anyway, that is not suppose to be an excuse for it. It's poor management. I learnt my lesson. Next time I shall ALWAYS QUARANTINE all fishes that I buy.

The funny part is, I am also hearing alot of hobbylist facing the same situation as me. All the fishes will crowd in one corner with their fins clamped. There is no visible onset of any diseases nor any broken tails. Juz 1 or 2 pieces of fishes had their tail turn abit whitish. But the main behaviour of all the fishes are clamp fins and crowding together in one corner.

I do not know what disease it is and how to combat such a situation. So I used Potassium Permaganate coupled with about 2 heap teaspoon of salt (water quantity is about 60 litres) and putting the heater on at 28 degrees. I did this for the pass 2 days with water change daily and putting the same dosage of medication. The result was, they are still sick. However they have spread out around the tank. They are no longer crowding at one corner although they still had their fins clamped.

Anyway below are the picures of the sick fishes with the unknown cause and disease.














1 comment:

Zac said...

If you are on tap water then they are changing the chemicals at about that time. It is possible that A) your dechlorinator does not break the chloramine bond, B) that some chemical, likely chloramine, is REMOVED, allowing the growth of pathogens, or 3) some other element is being added/removed to the water. If you are on well water, it could be pollution to ground water.